Mandate and Mission
The Vancouver Society of Storytelling is a registered art charity. (#891076978RR0001).
Our core purpose, as outlined in our constitution (1991), is:
- to help the public understand, appreciate and value the art of storytelling, and
to encourage the development of storytellers.
We fulfil our purpose by providing the public with high quality storytelling events, performances and workshops. We develop, support and promote storytelling and storytellers in Vancouver and surrounding areas.
The Vancouver Society of Storytelling facilitates, promotes and provides support for story listeners and tellers from Vancouver and the surrounding area through performances, workshops, community events and networking opportunities.
The Vancouver Society of Storytelling supports storytelling at the professional and community level by raising the profile of and promoting the art form through educational and performance opportunities. We endeavour to become a vital, financially sustainable partner within Vancouver’s arts and broader communities. Our goal is to become a hub for the oral tradition of storytelling at the local, national and international level.
Our Core Values
• Community — celebrates diversity, inclusivity, respectful relationships, collaboration, co-operation, spirituality and ritual, support.
• Stewardship — accountability to each other and the art form of story and storytelling. Preservation of the art form, folklore and cultural connections. Care for each other and the environment. Act as keepers and protectors of tradition, land and culture.
• Artistic Excellence — Expression of art form, creativity, imagination, inspiration.
• Education — Self-examination, collaboration, support, critical reflection, co-operation.
• Professionalism — organization, accountability, integrity, proactivity, responsibility, financial responsibility.